Sunday, July 22, 2012

Who The Hell Am I And Why Do You Care?

Well the truth is, you might not.  Regardless before I post any opinions or stories, before I give you suggestions, or try to alter your behavior, you will want to know what, if any, qualifications I have.

First, and foremost, I am a citizen of the United States, a free man.  I am a former police officer, with 5 years of experience under my belt.  Two of those years were spent as a member of our tactical team (our version of SWAT), and 4 were spent working dope.  If you just said "hey wait that math does not add up," good for you you passed the first test.  I worked for a smaller department, I won't say which one, but while it was large enough to have a tac team it was small enough that officers on that team worked other duties and simply remained on call.  I went through a Federal, rather than local SWAT training program, and we received 2 days per month to train as a team.  In addition to my law enforcement experience I have 10 years of concealed carry/off-duty carry experience.  Although I list the two in one sentence, I believe there is a huge fundamental difference between concealed carry and a police officers off-duty carry.  I will get more into that in a separate post.

In addition to firearms training, I have trained in hand to hand combat and open hand techniques under various disciplines.  I have no certifications and/or awards to show off in the empty hand category, although I do have an impressive (insert sarcasm here) ammature fight record of 2 and 0, and an even more impressive real-life fight record of, well I don't know but I'm still alive and that's the impressive part.

I have been involved in exactly two gunfights in my life, both were on-duty incidents.  Each one under vastly different circumstances, but both had the same outcome.  I will not be posting those stories, but I will be posting about things I learned from them.

As for my politics, I am a registered voting Republican.  If you are a liberal, you will probably think I'm a redneck gun nut.  If you are a real gun-nut/survivalist type, you'll probably think I'm a liberal.  I have very strong beliefs, but I respect the right of any American citizen to disagree with me.  I am NOT anti-government, so if that's the kind of blog you are looking for you will not find satisfaction here.  I may disagree with the actions of our elected government, but I love my country and I will always respect the principals she was founded on.

I believe self-defense/concealed carry is a lifestyle.  Or rather, I believe it must be a lifestyle in order to be effective.  Casual carry, while not a lifestyle, probably accounts for 95% of the concealed carry permit holders in this nation.  We will discuss that in one of my first few posts.

In addition to everything listed above I am a gearhead, building and racing hot rods is my passion.  I love football, and just about anything outdoors.  And yes I love guns, in reality I love most things that are purely mechanical in nature. 

Now you know a little about me.  What you will read here is based on my own experience, and colored by my own perspective.  I try to be unbiased when I write, but in most things my own bias will shine through.  Keep that in mind as you read, and remember, I don't claim to be the authority on anything, I'm just a guy who has survived a few trials by fire, and has somehow found a way to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment